Te Kura o Waitahanui is located in a small settlement known today as Waitahanui on State Highway 1 approximately 10kms south of Taupō township. It is a settlement that has been occupied by Ngāti Tūtemohuta for at least 250 years. In 1899 Te Rangi Tahau II wrote to the Department of Education asking that a school be established at Waitahanui. Waitahanui Native School formally opened in 1905 with Mr A Woodhead as the first Headmaster.
In 2016 Te Kura o Waitahanui, and whānau, travelled to Rotorua, to formally apply to become an affiliated member of Ngā Kura ā Iwi o Aotearoa. This tono was accepted and we proudly base our curriculum on the kōrero ō neherā pertaining to Ngāti Tūtemohuta and Ngāti Tūtemohutatanga. We firmly believe that if our tamariki are educated to be strong in their own identity then they will stand confident in today’s world.